New CPT Codes for the COVID-19 Vaccines
Healthcare providers across the United States have been working hard to distribute the COVID-19 vaccine to as many people as possible as quickly as possible. There are four different vaccines, three of which have already been granted emergency use authorization by the FDA. The American Medical Association (AMA) has issued CPT codes for each of the different vaccines
What Vaccines Are Available in the United States?
There are currently four vaccines that have been developed to protect people from the COVID-19 virus. These vaccines are:
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine by Pfizer, Inc.
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine by Moderna, Inc.
- Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine by Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
- AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine by AstraZeneca
Of these, the Pfizer, Moderna, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccines have been granted emergency use authorization by the FDA in the United States. AstraZeneca has not yet been approved due to discrepancies in the data submitted to the FDA.
What Are the CPT Codes for Each Vaccine?
The CPT codes for each vaccine are as follows:
- Vaccine Code: 91300
- Vaccine Administration Code (1st Dose): 0001A
- Vaccine Administration Code (2nd Dose): 0002A
- NDC 10: 59267-1000-1
- NDC 11: 59267-1000-01
- Vaccine Code: 91301
- Vaccine Administration Code (1st Dose): 0011A
- Vaccine Administration Code (2nd Dose): 0012A
- NDC 10: 80777-273-10
- NDC 11: 80777-0273-10
Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
- Vaccine Code: 91303
- Vaccine Administration Code: 0031A
- NDC 10: 59676-580-05
- NDC 11: 59676-0580-05
- Vaccine Code: 91302
- Vaccine Administration Code (1st Dose): 0021A
- Vaccine Administration Code (2nd Dose): 0022A
- NDC 10: 0310-1222-10
- NDC 11: 00310-1222-10
These CPT codes will help physicians bill for the vaccines they are distributing.